Friday 19 June 2009

another way is possible......







a week or so ago i was walking to my car where i park for work ..when i saw an extremely tall guy opening the door to his little white mini ...i thought that in itself would be fun to watch .....when from behind came his wife holding the hand of their little toddler and carrying a little baby..i watched stunned as this family of four all piled into this itsy bitsy car...one which is even smaller than my bubble on wheels......why has this stuck in my mind i wondered...and i guess.. it's cause it has challenged me in the whole area of materialism...that there is always the pressure and expectation to buy bigger and better....and a silent expectancy that when people have kids they automatically need to find the cash to get a bigger model to hold their expanding brood...............well i have proof it's not necessary...i witnessed one very tall man his average sized wife one toddler and one baby all get into this car and be seated and strapped in safely...and this wasn't just a one of cause their real car exploded..i see them every day.......i find it inspiring in the age we live.....it is possible to live differently and go against the flow....another world is possible.....it just depends on whether or not we want to pay the cost that goes hand in hand with going against the grain......

4 comments:

Ashley and Hannah said...

Profound.

Challenging.

And fabulous! I love minis!!

I would like my Aussie car to be a dual cab beaut ute.. and my English car to be a mini!!! (To be honest, I'd like a mini here too!)

Hmmmmm, I guess the car wasn't the point ;) one can get materialistic over a small car tooooo!!! Ha ha.

I still have a vision in my mind of my middle school teacher... a tall man... leaving in his tiny yellow mini. It also amazed me how he fitted it well enough to drive the thing!

Well, love you lots beautiful!

xxx

Ally Brown said...

i love the mini too..no it wasn't the whole point :-)...it was the keeping up with the jones's lol

Anonymous said...

Yes going against the grain. Not easy but rewarding! Good post! We were chatting about N. Ireland just last night! Hope all is well> H

Ally Brown said...

yes all good....sadly N ireland has had lots of media attention right now for a small group of peoples appalling behavior......so sad..... but thankfully the Church was right at the centre offering help and support...and a challenge to the culture of society...

pink world of ally.....